Fruit is a great snack for anyone who is trying to stay fit and healthy. They come in so many varieties that contain an excellent amount of nutrients and vitamins. Fruit can be blended into nutritious smoothies or placed in the freezer for a nice frozen treat. Here are three of the healthiest fruits that are available at all markets in the US.
- Antioxidant Benefits– Since most of the polyphenols in apples function as antioxidants, it’s not surprising to see so many health benefit studies focusing on the antioxidant benefits from apple. Particularly strong is the ability of apples to decrease oxidation of cell membrane fats.
- Cardiovascular Benefits– The cardiovascular benefits of apples are well-documented in research studies, and they are closely associated with two aspects of apple nutrients: their water-soluble fiber (pectin) content, and their unusual mix of polyphenols.
- Cardiovascular– Cod has a large amount of blood-thinning Omega-3 fatty acids. It also contains an excellent source of vitamins B12 and B6. Omega-3-rich fish consumption improves the electrical properties of heart cells, protecting against fatal abnormal heart rhythms.
- Protection against Cancer– A diet rich in the omega-3 fats found in cold water cod greatly reduces risk of colorectal cancer. Studies have shown that those whose diets provided the most omega-3s had a 37% reduction in colorectal cancer risk.
Tart and tangy with an underlying sweetness, grapefruit has a juiciness that rivals that of the ever popular orange and sparkles with many of the same health promoting benefits.
- Vitamin C– Grapefruit is an excellent source of vitamin C, a vitamin that helps to support the immune system. Vitamin C-rich foods like grapefruit may help reduce cold symptoms or severity of cold symptoms
- Lower Cholesterol– Grapefruit contains pectin, a form of soluble fiber that has been shown in animal studies to slow down the progression of atherosclerosis.
Although lemons and limes may not be what you would choose for an afternoon snack, we consider them as powerhouses when we want to bring out the flavor of other foods.
- Antibiotic Effects– Like many of the fruits and vegetables featured in our articles, lemons and limes contain unique flavonoid compounds that have antioxidant and anti-cancer properties.
- Protection against Rheumatoid Arthritis– Studies indicate that vitamin C-rich foods, such as lemons and limes, provide humans with protection against inflammatory polyarthritis, a form of rheumatoid arthritis involving two or more joints.